GIS AND RECORDS TECHNICIAN – Sault Ste. News Mary
Algoma Power Inc. (API) is an electric distribution company that serves approximately 12,000 customers in the District of Algoma with over 1,800 kilometers of distribution lines in an area that covers approximately 14,200 square kilometers. Algoma Power Inc. is a subsidiary of FortisOntario Inc. (“FortisOntario”) headquartered in Fort Erie and engaged in electricity transmission and distribution operations primarily located in Fort Erie, Port Colborne, Cornwall, Gananoque and Algoma District. FortisOntario is the only investor-owned electric distribution utility in Ontario and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fortis Inc. (“Fortis”). Fortis is the largest investor-owned distribution utility in Canada. Algoma Power Inc. currently has an opportunity to work out of our Sault Ste. Location of Marie’s work center for one:
GIS AND RECORDS TECHNICIAN
Algoma Power Inc. (API) is looking for an enthusiastic, service-oriented, organized individual with strong attention to detail and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment as part of a dynamic team. The GIS and Records Technician is responsible for updating and maintaining technical and legal records and providing timely quality system mapping to increase worker safety and efficiency.
Main tasks/responsibilities include:
• Support operations, customer service and engineering departments by updating records of transformers, poles, switches and connectivity and using them in a timely manner for planning, outage management purposes , reporting and system analysis
• Organize and maintain technical files (physical and electronic files)
• Create and maintain electronic and paper maps of the API distribution system
• Management of line section, pole numbering, switch numbering and transformer numbering conventions
• Inventory and manage electronic and physical filings of legal documents and permits such as easements, land leases, MTO highway encroachments, joint use agreements, railroad crossing agreements, traffic permits. land use, etc.
• Management and preservation of documents and retrieval of recordings
• Ensure the efficient operation of the department by anticipating needs, implementing suggestions, initiating improvements to workflow and managing day-to-day work as needed
• Develop and maintain positive working relationships with all internal departments, employees, customers, contractors, various legislative bodies, municipal agencies, and governments and other organizations
• Other assigned duties
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
• GIS Application Specialist or equivalent GIS degree or certification
• Experience working with the ESRI/GIS platform to edit and create geospatial data
• Knowledge of utility specific GIS software such as Milsoft, Autocad
• A good understanding of the electrical system and the characteristics and functionalities of electrical equipment
• Post-secondary education in business administration or equivalent
• Experience in data management and analysis
• Experience in organizing records and maintaining records
• Proficiency in computer applications, such as the Microsoft Office suite (knowledge of SAP is considered an asset)
• Knowledge of the use of databases
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to effectively achieve desired results within specified timeframes
• Attention to detail and ability to complete work with a high degree of accuracy
• Proven team player, strong problem solving and interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently
• Experience working with an electric utility would be an asset
• Ontario “G” driver’s license and clean driving record
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their cover letter and resume outlining their education, experience and related qualifications via the career opportunities page on www.algomapower.com
We thank all respondents for their interest, however, we will only respond to those selected.
FortisOntario is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities and will work with applicants who request accommodation at any stage of the recruitment cycle.
Algoma Power Inc. is an inclusive employer committed to accessibility.
Algoma Power Inc., a FortisOntario company, is 100% Canadian-owned and a proud member of the Fortis Inc. group of companies. www.algomapower.com